Digital Marketing 101: SEO
A website is only effective if your target demographic can find it. Think of your website as a vehicle. Your vehicle drives you towards your potential customers. You also have competitors, and you’re all racing towards those aforementioned customers. There is a good chance that the first few businesses to get in front of the customer will win the business. Think of SEO specialists as mechanics who tweak your car for maximum performance.
SEO is a marriage between the art and science of making your website rank higher in search engines. There are a lot of small (but important) details that go into optimizing your website, which is why it’s important to work with professionals who know exactly what they’re doing.
Here are just a few SEO techniques to help rank your website ahead of your competition’s:
- Create/curate content with higher keyword density – inject words into your website that you think someone is most likely to put into a search engine to find your content
- Share content through all your social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Google+, etc.
- Link other pages on your website and blog content
- Make your graphics search friendly by using alt tags
- Add more video content on blogs and web pages
- Improve your meta description
But how exactly does a search engine figure out which website belongs where in rankings?
Here’s what Google’s algorithms ask themselves when searching for keywords:
- How many times does page contain keywords you searched
- Do keywords appear in the title?
- Are there H1 and H2 titles?
- Do keywords appear in the URL?
- Does the page include synonyms for keywords?
- Does meta data include keywords?
- Does your content have pictures and media?
- Do your pictures and media have alt tags?
- Is your website important? This is determined by how many other websites link to it and how important those links are.
As you can see, a lot goes into SEO. You need to invest a lot of time and energy into ensuring that you are following all best practices to outperform your competition. If you need help with SEO, talk to a professional, your business will thank you for it.